Monday, April 23, 2012

What I learn about God from my Children-Introduction

Growing up in a family with an absent dad has profound effects on children. Psychology is steeped in research proving this point. Also true is growing up with a dad who does not meet the mark has profound effects on a child. To some extent all of us have grown up with some kind of dysfunction. If not then I would suggest perhaps the person who feels that way did not grow up with a sinner or live in the same (sinful broken) world as I. Last time I checked scripture is clear we are all sinners and fall short.
In my own life I have several of the aforementioned contributing factors. As I have grown in my life there has been an evident struggle of the "heart/head" connection. My head is filled with all this wonderful knowledge about God, His Word, Christ, and the Holy Spirit. I can sit and talk theology with the best of them. However, when it comes to sensing God and his personal involvement in my daily life there is a void. As this "void" has showed itself I have often wondered if it wasn't related to the not having a dad or having adopted and foster ones who "failed to meet the mark." 
Recently I was reading a friends notes on her social networking site. This friend is a professor, dorm mom, pastor's wife, and once barren now has 3 children. We hadn't spoken in a awhile and I was catching up. The title of her posts was "What my children teach me about God." I was struck with such curiosity that I read them all. The light bulb turned on!! Her posts were little blurps about situations that occur where she reflected what she learned about God from them.
What I "learned" if you will is that our experiences reflect much about God in a very personal way.Yes, you say...duh! Well, for me they take place in the context of a parent to a child. They are tangible examples of God and his theology at work. So I have been thinking about my children and their daily happenings in light of the theology that I know very well. Guess what.....I have seen God and experienced Him in a different light and as a result will "borrow" from her this way of meditating on Him and share it with you. 

No comments: