Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Repentant

In 2006 I was in an accident. It is one that has changed my life forever. My hip, knee, and ankle were broken. I sat in the hospital 12 days and then in rehab another 12 days. After going home I spent 3 months rehabbing 3 times per week. This accident took my mobility and challenged my pride. Since the 7th grade I have been a part of sports. God gifted me with the ability to work hard and attain the skills necessary to excel. He allowed for me to continue in sports through college. It was here that I was part of a team that went to nationals, my 1,000 rebound was attained, and I was recognized for my gifts. 
Before this accident I had a few fender bender type accidents and yes I have been pulled over for speeding. But never had I been part of an accident of this proportion. After this accident I had people not allow me to drive their children, a person who told me they had seen me driving and I needed to sit up and pay attention and that I ought not talk on a cell phone, people who wouldn't let me borrow their truck initially to transport tables for a work function. I regret this accident. I am less physically capable. I limp when tired and can't excersise the same as before. I prided myself in my physical capabilities.
What makes it worse is that 6 years ago was my accident. This last Sunday I was in charge of driving some kiddos home. As we walked to the car a person heard me say to the eldest child as I threw the keys to him,"you can drive." His response was "yeah if I had to ride with her I would want to drive too." Everything inside me wanted to turn and tell him off. I mean really couldn't he be more gracious and encouraging! This person has tons of rough edges and he constantly makes hurtful comments to me. My heart wanted to judge him and did in that moment. 
This morning I read 1 Peter 3:8-9 "To sum up, all of you be harmonious, sympathetic, brotherly, not returning evil for evil or insult for insult, but giving a blessing instead; for you were called for the very purpose that you might inherit a blessing."
So, it is with this verse that I find myself humbled and repentant
Thank you Lord for speaking to me through your word. 

No comments: