Sunday, August 19, 2012

Yesterday....Today....Tomorrow

Recently I have been pondering the passage of time. It seems like yesterday Shannon was born and we were reveling in the awesome joy that comes from having a newborn. The reality of the time passed comes when she is asking to not wear pull ups or constantly telling me how much she is a big girl as she helps with the housework or plays with her hair and gets dressed on her own. I look at her and the memories of baby Shannon are hard to envision anymore. It's amazing how grown up she seems to me at 40 months!
In a blink of my eye she grew up. And...she isnt even GROWN UP. However the passage of time reminds me how fleeting everything is.
 Often times I get caught up in the happenings of yesterday. How many families are torn apart with bitterness, anger, and forgiveness for things that happened years ago and when people may have been different. Or I think about the happenings to come. Will my husband get the job, I will wait till tomorrow to eat right or exercise, or I can't wait till there are no more diapers, nursing's, or till my child can do this or that.
The interesting thing is that today is here, now, current, and what I am living in. Yesterday is gone and tomorrow is not yet. Living in yesterday keeps us bound. The bitterness, anger, regret, unforgiveness, what-ifs of the future, and the wishes of what life could be like keep us from experiencing the fullness God has for us.
We can't change yesterday and we can't write tomorrow. It has been written for us. Time is fleeting. Living in today with the hopes of tomorrow leads to fullness. Don't allow the past to dictate today or tomorrow. Live for today. Set aside the housework and play, reach out to the family members or Christian Brother or Sisters who have hurt or offended you, hope for tomorrow without scripting it and living for it.
Shannon will be grown before I know it. I am growing older and older and life is passing me by. I want to live for today and make the most of it before the opportunity passes. May I remember these thoughts as the days go by this week.

1 comment:

Chrissie said...

Amen!